I’m gettin ready to reveal all the crazy of my ORC plan to you all here in a couple of short days! Eeeekkk! And even though I have most of it figured out and ready to share I thought I would take a sec and give a little peeky look into how and where I get inspo.
1. First up, I just have an idea. Something that hit me randomly, like when I’m brushing my teeth. Then I start to run with it. Sometimes the idea works and makes sense…..other times not so much. But I definitely think through an idea before discarding it because sometimes that brain tree that forms off of that one idea becomes something else completely but it’s totally magical.
2. I saw something and it got that brain train going. It could be a piece of furniture, a drape, a fabric, an accent piece or a rug. Really anything. I’ll see it and boom there goes the imagination developing 10 ways I could use it. The downside is, sometimes I get overwhelmed by my own ideas and have to whittle them down and focus what look I’m going for. It can cause me to have analysis paralysis. I overthink it and it becomes paralyzing to make a final decision. (check out one of my inspo trips here!) I just have to step back and, re-group and then just kick myself in the booty. Most often, my original idea is the one I end up going with.
3. Pinterest. I know this may or may not come as a surprise but when I’m really stuck I browse a pretty broad category of whatever I’m working on. Sometimes this creates the same trigger as above. I never want to copy another look, I have to make it completely my own, but it can cause that light flicker that then dives into a whole other thing (as described in #1).
4. Random googling. I will google a term, such as office or desk (as in for my ORC space, spoiler!) and see what comes up. I will just click on images and scroll. Waiting for that flicker. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. But it’s worth a shot.
5. Play off of what I already have in or in the near area of a space. I like to make sure there is a cohesion between spaces. It sometimes helps to start a space just by looking at those surrounding areas, like a color you want to bring through or a style. That can help get you started!
Those are my secrets! I am trying to make some final decisions on the Fall ORC space but I am beyond stoked with some of the pieces I have already gotten sorted out. I can’t wait to share with you all on Thursday! Don’t forget to hit up the subscribe box in the sidebar to make sure you don’t miss it.
How about you? Where do you find inspiration? What gets your imagination and creativity going?
I always love to hear from ya so hit me up in the comments below!